static

static, interference, intervention, intervene, get involved so as to alter or hinder an action, white noise, snow, fuzz, fuzzy, Fuzzy, ME

Monday, September 13, 2004

Irony

The Oxford English Dictionary defines irony as a state of affairs that appears perversely contrary to what one might expect. I say this because I am a victim, through my own actions, of irony. How did this state of affairs come to be? I hate being made to look like a fool without giving consent. I have no problem playing the fool and in fact, a lot of my humor is fairly self deprecating, but if made to look foolish, I am vehement in my own self -defense.
The story starts on Saturday. I was volunteering, through SASC, for Sunnybrook, a charity that provides pregnancy counseling for single mothers and assists other people in adoptions both here and abroad. We were doing a teardown after a consignment clothing sale and were sorting items that were going to be going to an African Missionary group. I was bent at the waist sorting through things in a box on the floor. Suddenly, I see a flash go off behind me, my friend Sharon had just taken a picture. I couldn't believe she did it and told her so but she said that she was taking a picture of the entire area. I was relieved and let things pass. Jump now to last night. By 8 PM last night, I can't say I was thinking terribly clearly (after having been up since 2:45 AM and only getting about 3 hours of sleep the previous night.) I went to checked out Sharon's blog and saw that which I was afraid I was going to see, the picture. It was a picture of everyone working but I am in the center with my back to the camera and bent over; almost as if I was trying to moon her with my pants on. This did not sit well with me and sent an email asking if I should be insulted and assuming that I should be. I then went to bed. This morning I checked my email and she said that she was simply trying to take a picture of the group working on the project, the fact that I was bent over hadn't even entered into the picture (so to speak). I had been made a fool of through my overreaction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home