static

static, interference, intervention, intervene, get involved so as to alter or hinder an action, white noise, snow, fuzz, fuzzy, Fuzzy, ME

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

A typical spring day in January

Yes, I know, Spring starts on March 20th but when the temperature gets up to 60° and it rains. I would definitely call it spring. When I got up this morning, there was about 9 inches of snow on the ground. It got so warm so quickly the snow pack produced a pretty heavy fog. It is now raining and the only place where there is any snow is where it had been piled at the edges of parking lots. The ground is so wet, it is a virtual bog. When I got home from work today, my mailman was waiting for me with a package. Running to meet him, I stepped into the ground and it took my shoe. I had to stop for a second to pull it out of the muck by hand. The weather had predicted a heavy rain tonight. I was going out tonight but when I left, it was so warm that I could have left my coat. It was a good thing that I didn't because while it was still moderately warm when the talk I went to ended, it was raining and the coat did keep my upper half dry.

So what did I go see? Jeffrey Eugenides and Gary Steyngart had a conversation. Gary Steyngart started things and it was actually he who was the primary focus of the talk. He started with a reading from his book, "The Russian Debutante's Handbook" which is about a Russian Jewish immigrant (kind of like he is) learning how to fit in society. The excerpts he read were very funny. I may just have to pick this up. Jeffrey Eugenides, the Pulitzer Prize winning author of Middlesex and The Virgin Suicides, than joined him onstage. He talked briefly about how they knew one another (they met at the Literary Club of Prague in Vienna) and started talking interview style but ended up conversing on politics, writing, and growing up ethnic in the United States among other things. It was very interesting and also pretty funny. It was also fairly obvious where there politics lied (Democrats both). They then opened up the talk to questions from the audience and they ended signing their books for people. I am presently reading Middlesex, and was planning on bringing it with me so I could get it signed, but I forgot it at home. It was a good night despite getting pretty wet.

The American total in Iraq remained at 24 for January but the allied casualties rose to 9. This brings the total of Americans killed in Iraq to 1357 and the non-British allies to 84.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home