static

static, interference, intervention, intervene, get involved so as to alter or hinder an action, white noise, snow, fuzz, fuzzy, Fuzzy, ME

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Volunteering

I volunteered with SASC this morning to work at the Greater Chicago Food Depository. This work is very important because there are a lot of hungry people in the Chicagoland area and unfortunately, with our present government, it isn't going to get any better. The rich will continue getting richer, the poor will continue getting poorer and jobs will continue to be shipped overseas. Profit at any cost has become the new mantra. Because of this, the work of volunteers will continue to be more important. I am going to be doing a couple of other things with SASC this month, but the other things that had been keeping me busy, biking and politics have ended for the time being. I went to volunteermatch tonight to see what other things might be available to keep me busy. I signed up as a Data Entry Clerk for the Illinois Guardianship and Advocacy Commission and as an Event Assistant for The Center of Concern which is in Park Ridge. I also thought about being an errand runner/delivery person for The Center of Concern but I want to learn a little about the nonprofit before I throw myself in.

A question may be asked as to why I do so much volunteer stuff, the main reason is because I can. These groups need people like me and I have the time available to do it. Its a lot better spending my time helping people than sitting at home contemplating my navel.

Tomorrow, I am going to SOFA. It looks like it's going to be really cool this year. Dale Chihuly is supposed to have some new forms and hopefully Riley and Hawk Galleries from Cleveland have some good stuff; they usually do. I also would like to see Judy Onofrio's new work and hopefully Albert Paley will have something good.
I will find out all of these things tomorrow. Speaking of which, I will end this here and talk more tomorrow.

Goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home